NOTE: Blimey! is no longer being updated. Please visit http://lewstringercomics.blogspot.com for the latest updates about my comics work.

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Forgotten Ice Lollies

A very quick blog post tonight as I'm busy. Who remembers Warlord ice lollies? Star-Ship 2000? Banana flavoured King Kong? No, me neither, but I was 19 back in 1978 when these were around so ice lollies weren't really on my agenda. Some of you slightly younger ones might remember them. Star-Ship 2000 looks like it was a renamed version of Sky Ray. Anyway, here's how Wall's promoted them using comic strips 39 years ago. This page appeared on the back page of Misty in the summer of '78, and I'm sure it must have been in other IPC comics too. 

9 comments:

Jim O'Brien said...

Marvellous stuff, Lew! Don't remember any of these particularly but I love the idea of the Lords Peter Flint versus King Kong. Mint and chocolate for our boys in khaki though? Hmm: not sure that isn't quite 'tough' enough a flavour to be honest. Although come to think of it I believe Dalek Death Rays were mint and chocolate so my point is obviously way off!

Lew Stringer said...

Yes, they do seem to have "borrowed" the name of Warlord for the lolly, don't they? I suppose confectionary companies aleways did try to appeal to what they thought kids wanted though. Bring back Dracula lollies!

Ken said...

At that age I might have bought a lolly if Guinness had made one! Best lone of my formative years in the 60s was undoubtedly the Joker lolly made at Northern Dairies in Belfast. Orange flavoured ice coating with ice cream body! Think it was 6d.

Anonymous said...

I was 12 in 1978 but I don't remember any of them. But I do remember the Space: 1999 lolly from a couple of years earlier :)

Peter Gray said...

Just to say the lolly picture isn't loading up for me...just in case anyone else has the same problem?

Lew Stringer said...

Strange. Have you tried refreshing the page, Peter?

James Spiring said...

Peter, you need to whitelist this site in Adblock. It's getting blocked because the filename is advert.jpg.

Unknown said...

The Willie Woppa wrapper had a slogan or joke starting "Willie Woppa says....."

Lew Stringer said...

You're right, Paul. I'd forgotten that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...